Skip to main content

DIFFERENT SHADES OF HAPPINESS


In October 2017 I visited Dilli Haat with my mother to enjoy the organic food festival. We walked through various stalls and bought some organic stuff. It was at one of the stall, while buying lemongrass, when she already handed over the money to the vendor, she changed mind and decided not to buy the same. Without realizing that she hasn’t taken the money back, she politely refused the vendor and started walking with small steps. She must have walked few steps ahead when a quaint voice stopped her “Mam you forgot your money”.


Customary, my mother collected the money, appreciated him for his integrity and honesty. The vendor, a young boy hailing from Uttarakhand, became the hero for us. The mere thought that honesty still prevails and people do have strong value system made both of us happy.

While travelling in metro last week, a small kid boarded metro with his mother and started roaming. People were enamoured by his innocence, his gullible acts. He would walk few tiny steps, look around so that he is being noticed and would giggle if someone is looking at him. Travelers also reciprocated by smiling back at him. The dull, soundless coach suddenly turned active as the kid’s activities were engaging enough to make co passengers grin. Few laughed; few chuckled while few offered blessings to the little bundle of joy for breaking the monotony.
We often forget small gestures or acts that make us happy; the acts that make us smile. We do come across or experience many acts or deeds that make us smile or happy. I call them different shades of happiness, different nuances of happiness.
This reminds me of small anecdote. Last year I visited old age home with my mother. I still remember an encounter with an old lady who was in her late seventies. The room, well maintained, had stuff enough to meet bare necessities of life. She was busy in daily chores when the sound of rusty door disturbed her attention. Irritated by someone’s entry she turned back and looked towards the door with an eye of suspicion. The care taker introduced her to me and mom. She welcomed us by smiling. Her wrinkled and sagging face was denoting the experiences she must have encountered. She was little hesitant to talk at first. Soon she started sharing her memories about childhood, marriage. She made one statement that just zapped me,”Its been two years and nobody has come to meet me”. The air was filled by palpable silence. Within fraction of seconds, once she said this, she embraced me tightly. My eyes got filled with shy tears trembling around lashes.No one could have explained better how terrible it is to live alone, to keep waiting for someone to come and meet than her. After few minutes, we decided to depart. She bade adieu to us, offering blessings. As I was about to step out of threshold, I turned to see her reaction. She grinned and waved her hand. I could see a spark of happiness in her eyes filled with melancholy. Reciprocating her gesture, we came back.
Joy is the simplest form of gratitude

However, I kept mulling the entire day over a basic question-What is happiness???
In life we often concentrate on attaining happiness through big success that we forget to enjoy the joy brought by little achievements in life. The smile on old lady’s face after meeting us who was living alone was nothing but simple act that turned her ecstatic.
How would a starving child react on being offered a platter of food. How about feeding birds in the morning?? Have you ever helped an old man cross the pavement who is in mid-eighties and can barely walk without stick? These are simple acts of kindness that spread joy to the world. To me happiness is not only doing good deeds to make someone smile but deeds that make you smile as well.

                                        WHAT IS HAPPINESS TO YOU??




Comments

  1. Very Informative! This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much for sharing this!
    fast food restaurants near me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goa As Seen From My Eyes

  8th July 2016- It was 1320 hours when the plane landed at Dabolim airport. As we stepped out, cool breeze flowing added more to the excitement. The place welcomed us with refreshing gentle wind filled with aroma of wet sand. What else could have one asked for. As the cab drove us to the hotel, we were entranced by the captivating view of the Arabian Sea . Both sides of the road were covered by coconut trees with wind stirring their branches. As we crossed Mapusa, roads became narrower with bars, taverns, hotels and restaurants constructed with beautiful facade resembling Portuguese architecture. Equally, enchanting was to see lanterns hung at the entrance of the colourful houses. The drive involving transfer from airport to the hotel was rejuvenating that guaranteed a trip loaded with excitement.   It was monsoon and the entire state was wet and looked surreal. The clouds were partly covered by the grey lining. Though Goa is known for beaches, yet

Memories Never Fade

How ecstatic he must have felt when he first held me, as an infant, in his arms. The caressed, hugs, the way he tossed me up in the air, the cuddles that I was embraced with as a child are still intact as a memoir deep in my brain. Being raised by a single mother, he was a fatherly figure to me. Hence the saying “When one door closes, another door opens… I am writing this post to recollect the sweet moments I shared with him. Some people hold special place in our lives that even when they go away, those places remain void filled with emptiness that no one can fill. So was he... With great vibrancy and enthusiasm, he would wake me up every morning for school. Weekends were always fun and a short trip to nearby market or an ice cream treat was guaranteed. Come summer vacations, we would pack our bags and head towards the mountains to beat the heat and get mesmerised by the picturesque view of Mother Nature. I still remember, as a kid, every Sunday he would take us t

Note to Self- Recap of 2022 and learnings

  Dear 2022, You have been a roller coaster ride.   Some memories to cherish, some learnings to carry on as I will be entering another exciting year which means new opportunity every single day of the year. Some tangy experiences leaving pungent impact that I may want to erase from my life. This is the season of celebrations, of baking, exchanging gifts, relishing cup cakes and taste mouth savoring desserts, travelling, house parties, of bonfire, making customary resolutions😃 , taking forward some learnings from 2022 and beyond.  On the last day of 2022, I bid adieu to my older version. For what happened in 2022 , was destined and happened for a season. That taught me what is meant to go and what is meant to stay with me.. the path to commit to.. Tomorrow will not be the same as today. Every second, every minute and hour will remind me of a new beginnings. A plethora of prospects, of hope and love. As I recollect some moments of 2022, I want to say good bye to few things and keep some