Skip to main content

Spirit of Friendship



In life you come across strangers who leave indelible impact on you. Some become part of your lives while some exit leaving marks of bad or good memories. Through this blog I try to recollect entry of a person whose existence has become an integral part of my life.

February 2011- I was doing the customary work, checking and responding to few urgent mails, prioritising things. The day at work had just started when someone with hefty voice called out my name – “Hey Ruchi!!!” I turned around my chair to look & saw my line manager standing with new entrant.
Manager- Hi, meet our new joinee!!! She will buddy up with you to learn the process flow. Just make her feel comfortable
Me- Alright Boss. Do you want me to share the training calendar?
Manager- Leaving it to you. Just see how you want to take it further.
Me- Sure

Introducing new joinee


Well at first glance, she appeared to be a plain Jane. Yet she had the charm that exuded. Her black frizzy locks were nicely tied. She wore glasses that suited her face structure. Confident & tall, she smiled & looked at me. We greeted each other in a formal way. I don’t remember fully how the first meeting went. May be she sat only for a moment & left then & there to meet others. May be she spoke about her professional background & work experience.  Little did I know that the girl who seemed just a colleague for me might become a confidante one day? Honestly, even it didn’t bother me much to know more about her as she appeared another new joiner to me.

Few days passed on. She took on her role & got adjusted really well. She had her own gang of so called “coffee friends” with whom she visited cafeteria. We never spoke much except greeting each other at the start of the day.

Yes it all started over a cup of coffee
Pondering over some personal issue in office lounge, I felt relaxed as I sipped coffee. There was a complete silence which was broken by someone’s entry. And guess who that person was??? Yes, you are right. She stood there beaming that filled the air with positivity.

She- Hi, how have you been?
Me- I am very well. Howz you?? How has been the experience so far?
She- Umm, pretty well!!! What has been worrying you? You look perplexed.
Me- Naah, all well. It’s been a hectic week though.
She- Hmm, You know your face is a true reflection of your feelings. You can’t hide them. I can sense that there is something that is bothering. Do you want to talk? Believe it or not, you will feel better thereafter.
Me- Alrightyy. Thanks for your concern

She cracked a joke to which we both guffawed and that was first time when our communication extended beyond the simple greetings.


Later, we started going together to office lounge for grabbing a cup of tea. Amongst the group of corporate slaves, I have found a superb friend who stood out from all of them in every aspect. Be it persona, jovial nature. We got along really well. Days & months passed on but the bond got strengthened. We laughed together, moaned together.

2012 was a turning point in my life. Just when I was about to leave the organisation in pursuit of better opportunity, the feeling of going away from someone surrounded me. The stories we both shared over a cup of tea, laughs and jokes. Those were to become the things of the past. But destiny had decided something else for both of us. Couple of days before my last working day, she too received a call from the same organisation which I was about to join and…

There she stood with the offer letter. She joined week later. Problems enveloped our lives which we both couldn’t have envisaged. She had her own share of life and I too had my own share. Over this period of time, we extended support to each other and the bond became unbridgeable.


This doesn’t mean that this story was full of roses. We too had disagreement on many issues. But that’s how relationships grow. You need to adapt & understand other person’s viewpoint if you really want things to work out. Things have changed a lot. She is now married to a guy who loves her to core of his heart. She still loves tea. However I have developed fascination towards green tea. After having worked together from 4 years, I moved to another organisation. Though we do not get to see each other every day, but we make it a point to keep meeting & stay connected.

Friends are second family to all of us. We are not related by blood to them but they become important part of our lives. Cherish each and every memory spent together with your friends.

With this in my mind, I tried to recall few memories of our valued friendship. I am sure you too will have certain memories to share. Drop in your messages. Would love to hear from you.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goa As Seen From My Eyes

  8th July 2016- It was 1320 hours when the plane landed at Dabolim airport. As we stepped out, cool breeze flowing added more to the excitement. The place welcomed us with refreshing gentle wind filled with aroma of wet sand. What else could have one asked for. As the cab drove us to the hotel, we were entranced by the captivating view of the Arabian Sea . Both sides of the road were covered by coconut trees with wind stirring their branches. As we crossed Mapusa, roads became narrower with bars, taverns, hotels and restaurants constructed with beautiful facade resembling Portuguese architecture. Equally, enchanting was to see lanterns hung at the entrance of the colourful houses. The drive involving transfer from airport to the hotel was rejuvenating that guaranteed a trip loaded with excitement.   It was monsoon and the entire state was wet and looked surreal. The clouds were partly covered by the grey lining. Though Goa is known for beaches, yet

Memories Never Fade

How ecstatic he must have felt when he first held me, as an infant, in his arms. The caressed, hugs, the way he tossed me up in the air, the cuddles that I was embraced with as a child are still intact as a memoir deep in my brain. Being raised by a single mother, he was a fatherly figure to me. Hence the saying “When one door closes, another door opens… I am writing this post to recollect the sweet moments I shared with him. Some people hold special place in our lives that even when they go away, those places remain void filled with emptiness that no one can fill. So was he... With great vibrancy and enthusiasm, he would wake me up every morning for school. Weekends were always fun and a short trip to nearby market or an ice cream treat was guaranteed. Come summer vacations, we would pack our bags and head towards the mountains to beat the heat and get mesmerised by the picturesque view of Mother Nature. I still remember, as a kid, every Sunday he would take us t

Million Dollar Smile of Rickshaw Puller

It was freezing cold night of December. We came out of local restaurant at 2200 hours after feasting the scrumptious food and started searching for a cab to go back to hotel wandering through narrow streets of Amritsar . The street was almost empty with few local vendors selling favourite dessert of India, Gulab Jamun in tiny kiosks.  We decided to walk to hotel but looking at the distance and newness to the city, we gave up the idea. Trawling, we reached the middle of the street where we found a man sitting on the threshold of the stairs of one house. We asked him if he can guide us so that we can reach to hotel. He suggested hiring a rickshaw instead of searching the cab. A rickshaw puller was standing few steps away. A man called him and asked him to drop us to the hotel.  At first, we were unwilling, but the man assured us that he will drop us safely. Moreover, the rickshaw puller was known to him and he used to ferry school kids from the same street. The rickshaw puller